Are you thinking about taking part in NZ Fringe? Cool! Here's a few things you need to know.
When is NZ Fringe?
The next NZ Fringe is 28 Feb - 21 March 2020
What is Fringe?
NZ Fringe is an open access festival, that means we don't programme any shows. Once you register and pay your registration fee you're in. It's that easy.
Why indeed. Think of Fringe as the portal for audiences to find and experience your art. We market the festival all over town with poster campaigns, bus backs, radio interviews, media coverage & more. We distribute 25,000 copies of our printed programme far and wide. NZ Fringe run the ticketing on your behalf online and at our NZ Fringe Box Office. We host free forums/info sessions with industry professionals about all things Fringe life. We organise for judges, promoters and producers (both national and international) to come and see your work. All shows in NZ Fringe are self produced which means you'll put in some grunt work too, but we at Fringe HQ are all experienced in all things Fringe so ask us all the questions - use us to your advantage.
When can I register?
Registrations for 2020 are open 1 September - 14 October 2019. Get in touch if you have questions or want to start a conversation with us about your amazing plans. You can find us at email@example.com we are all ears (and eyes, and legs, and arms...)
What do I need to register?
- An event - or even just the beginnings of a kick-ass idea.
- A confirmed venue - talk to us if you need help finding one.
- Dates and times - when is it going to happen?
- Ticket prices - how much is up to you, but remember to factor inside fees into your prices
- A blurb to describe your event (or idea!) - it’s good to keep it snappy and tantalising
- An image for publicity and marketing - most publications won’t use images with text in them, have a browse over previous fringe programmes to see which ones stand out. (We’ve got a bunch in the NZ Fringe office. Come visit us, have a flick through, talk through your idea with us, remember we’re here to help you!)
What kind of event can I put on?
Honestly, anything. (As long as it's legal.) The Fringe world is your own personal oyster, get munching and we're sure those omega threes will be sure to get your brain juices flowing.
How much does it cost?
Fringe registration is tiered for different revenue possibilities:
- $25 : Free events eg exhibition or installation + $50 bond ($75)
- $75 : One off ticketed event + $50 bond ($125)
- $150 : Unticketed koha event, pay at the door + $50 bond ($200)
- $225 : Event ticketed under $10 and koha events requiring pre-booking + $50 bond ($275)
- $325 : Ticketed $10.01 and over + $50 bond ($375)
All registrations pay a $50 bond that is refunded once artist reports are submitted after the festival
Inside ticketing fees are $2.50 per ticket over $10.01 and $1.50 per ticket $10 and under.
How do I know which venue is right for me?
You might not, and that's cool. That's what we're here for! Do you want a regular black box theatre space? We know who to talk to. Do you need white walls and pillars? Well we can point you in the right direction. Some venues are programmed by application and some are first come first served. There's a list of Fringe friendly venues in the artist resources. As always if you need a guiding light, our team are here to help firstname.lastname@example.org
Now I know which venue, how do I go about applying?
You can refer to this handy list for venue contact information and submission deadlines.
Can I BYO venue?
You sure can! That's the magic of Fringe. We just need some key information like the name of the venue and the address. You can give us all that stuff right here and then we'll make sure it appears online and in print!
Are there funding opportunities for my event?
There are a few options out there for funding. NZ Fringe are pleased to offer our Kākano funding again in 2020, once applications open you'll be able to follow this link to apply. (Please note Kākano is only available for NZ residents.)
Other options can include:
- Crowd funding campaigns e.g. Boosted, Pledge Me
- Busking or fundraising nights
- CreativeNZ Grants
- WCC Grants
- Gaming trust charities
- And more...
It's worth having a think about the fact that the pool of money for arts funding is getting smaller, while the number of amazing projects needing funding are growing. Do your research, check whether you're eligible before applying, make sure you have all the materials required to apply. If in doubt, come and chat to us, we've been through it all and know the ins and outs of funding applications.
Will you give me a letter of support for applications?
Probably! Just ask. Our Creative Producer and/or Operations Director can give you letters of support or confirmation of participation.
I’m having trouble with my budget, can you help?
Sure! Contact the team, we’re happy to go through your production budget to help keep you on track. We’ll be holding a practical budget workshop in late January too.